About the "Mom"

ABOUT THE "MOM" : I grew up in Miami, in a home where both parents spoke Spanish. (Almost) effortlessly, I was raised bilingually, English/Spanish. I later learned French and German, just for fun. Today, I have two toddlers of my own. I want them to grow up loving foreign languages, too. I want them to learn about their cultural heritage and be fluent in Spanish, and maybe even have a bit of "fun" learning a third language conversationally. One little hiccup: my husband speaks only English. I don't have the benefit of two parents in the home literally "speaking the same (foreign) language." So how do you raise bilingual, bi-cultural children in a primarily monolingual home? Can it be done? All I know is that with a lot of effort and creativity, I am sure trying and because I firmly believe it is beneficial for my children to speak multiple languages fluently, I hope against hope that it all works out. I know that there are many of you out there in similar situations and I am excited to share my successes (and a few foibles) with you. I'm equally eager to hear what others of you are trying and experiencing in raising your children bilingually, whatever that second language might be. So enough chit-chat...let's start TALKING!!

-Consuelo Bova,

Mom of 2, Speaker of 4 and CEO of SmartMouthLearning.com


Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Paris ne c'est pas fait en un Jour (or "shoe", if you're my 2 year old)

Music is one of the best (and fastest means of getting your children excited about a second language).  The trick is to make it easy on the ears (your children's and your own).

I use my daily commute to and from school as "language learning time" for my kids.  I have a small collection of really great music CDs in Spanish (and French) that my kids love to listen to.  A few, I merely tolerate, but there are several that I LOVE.

Putumayo Kids puts out a variety of multicultural and foreign language music CDs for kids that are very "easy on the ears" for adults and children alike.  Their French children's CD, "French Playground"  is so much fun.  No sooner than I have her buckled in her car seat than my 2-year old daughter begins her daily chant, "Can I hear the French songs?  PLEEEEASE!"  And it is certainly a delight for me when I hear her singing- she knows all the songs by now, including my favorite, "Lutece," where my daughter belts out about how Paris wasn't built in a shoe ("Paris ne c'est pas fait, en un Shoe!!!")

What are your favorite children's music CD's in Spanish? French? Other foreign languages?  Share your favorites, we'd love to know!

-Consuelo Bova
CEO, SmartMouthLearning.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment