About the "Mom"

ABOUT THE "MOM" : I grew up in Miami, in a home where both parents spoke Spanish. (Almost) effortlessly, I was raised bilingually, English/Spanish. I later learned French and German, just for fun. Today, I have two toddlers of my own. I want them to grow up loving foreign languages, too. I want them to learn about their cultural heritage and be fluent in Spanish, and maybe even have a bit of "fun" learning a third language conversationally. One little hiccup: my husband speaks only English. I don't have the benefit of two parents in the home literally "speaking the same (foreign) language." So how do you raise bilingual, bi-cultural children in a primarily monolingual home? Can it be done? All I know is that with a lot of effort and creativity, I am sure trying and because I firmly believe it is beneficial for my children to speak multiple languages fluently, I hope against hope that it all works out. I know that there are many of you out there in similar situations and I am excited to share my successes (and a few foibles) with you. I'm equally eager to hear what others of you are trying and experiencing in raising your children bilingually, whatever that second language might be. So enough chit-chat...let's start TALKING!!

-Consuelo Bova,

Mom of 2, Speaker of 4 and CEO of SmartMouthLearning.com


Friday, June 17, 2011

Go Bilingual: It's healthy!

I run two companies. Have two small children. I'm on the go a lot and multi-task well.  People always ask how I get it all done.  Maybe now, thanks to the research of Ellen Biaystok, I may have a better answer than the usual "I dunno', I just do."

Ms. Biaystock is a cognitive neurosicentist and research professor at York University in Toronto.  In her recent interview with New York Times writer Claudia Dreyfus, "The Bilingual Advantage" (5/30/2011, NYT), she described her surprising findings regarding how bilinguals use their brains differently than monolinguals, and the most excellent benefits they can achieve as a result. 

For one, her studies have concluded that bilinguals make better multi-taskers than monolinguals.  This is because in learning and regularly using two languages, they learn to sort out the relevant (information, data, facts, etc.) from the irrelevent (the language or specific words used to communicate the information) in order to communicate quickly in whatever language.  This same skill or process becomes how they use their brain  on a regular basis, and according to her research, applies in non-verbal situations as well.

Ms Biaystock's research also concluded that bilingualism can delay the onset of Alzheimers symptoms by 5-6 years. Because of the improved cognitive function of bilingual minds, bilingual Alzheimer's patients were able to remain functional longer than their monlingual peers.  Bilingualism does not prevent Alzheimers, but it improved quality of life for those living with and managing the disease for longer periods. 

When asked about passing bilingualism on to children, Ms. Biaystock was clear: "There are two major reasons people should pass their heritage language onto children. First, it connects children to their ancestors. The second is my research: Bilingualism is good for you. It makes brains stronger. It is brain exercise. " 

She also pointed out that the benefits of her study were limited to those who used both languages regularly, occassional use did not yield the same results.

So- let's start talking- or hablando, nous parlons, wir sprechen....

-Consuelo Bova, CEO of SmartMouthLearning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment